This term we have been learning all about the Marae. We have learned that…….
- The Marae is an important focal point for the community.
- The Marae is a place where tradition and customs can be carried out.
- The Marae is a place where people can express their values with dignity.
- There are many kawa ( protocols) that prevail on the marae.
- Marae kawa (protocols) can differ between maraes and iwi.
We have focused on some key concepts when doing this learning.
These are listed and explained in the table below.
give the meaning of these concepts in your own words.
The way you do things at the marae
It's the welcoming ceremony
The local people that are connected to the marae
Visitors at the marae
Home base on the marae
Caring for a elderly
See this video for an explanation of the roles and responsibilities of people on a marae.
Something I would like to learn more about the marae is…….. If I went to a marae how would they welcome the children.